Graupel Canyon dancing with myself

psychic party, outfit + name tag

After happily chatting with Grace and sharing her pizza, Avi was found chatting with... herself, at least that's how it looked like. She pouted a bit, eyes black, hands resting on her hips.

"Oh, come on, you're acting worse than my dad." She sighed out. "I know you're worried, but I highly doubt this weird bird-vampire-thing will follow me home."

She paused, then smiled and giggled, shaking her head. Clearly amused with the response she got.

"Should have asked about mosquitos... Hey, maybe I could kiss one of these annoying buzzers and they'd turn into a prince or something."

To her, it was obvious she was talking to a ghost. And it should have been obvious to any psychic that knew about necromancy and bothered to read her nametag. But still, looked kinda weird. Avi didn't worry much though, at a psychic party, she could be open about this, right?

Look and nametag.

Catriona was staring at a woman with dark eyes she instantly recognized as being dressed as Elvira, sans the hairdo, talk to... seemingly no one?

It intrigued her. Enough that she stepped towards the other psychic, wondering if maybe hearing voices was a superpower.

"Hey, uh, sorry to um, interrupt but..."

Cat caught a glance of the woman's nametag and her jaw dropped.

Wait. GHOSTS WERE REAL?!

Cat took notice of Avi's unnaturally dark eyes and blinked.

WAIT. WAS SHE TALKING TO A GHOST RIGHT NOW?!

"Are you, um, chatting with a g-g-ghost?" Cat stammered, sounding not unlike Scooby-fucking-Doo.
Avi paused and blinked slowly at Cat. Then gave her a warm, welcoming smile. Ahhhh, someone seemed to be interested!

"Yeah! His name is Richard, he just kinda follows me around. Wanna see him?" She asked cheerfully, motioning over... air. But yeah, if her new friend wanted to see ghosts, she'd let her see ghosts! Unfortunately, she knew damn well she couldn't use that power for too long.
Holy shit. Holy shit.

Ghosts were real and this woman could fucking talk to them. See them even!

Catriona stared at the space where Avi motioned, blinking, her jaw hanging slightly as she considered the changing fabric of her reality. Cat was aware she lived in a world where magic existed, but never in a million years would she have thought ghosts were actually real.

Did she want to see him?

"Y-yes? I mean. Yes."
Avi smiled and put a hand on her shoulder, letting the power flow from her to Catriona. And soon her new friend was able to see the elderly man that was slightly... ethereal. But otherwise, looking absolutely fine. Dressed casually, in cargo shorts and a t-shirt, with an 'I LOVE FISHING' hat on his head. His presence was rather warm... A nice ghost.

"So... This is Richard." Avi said. "Unfortunately I feel side-effects kicking in already, but I'm glad I could show you...!"
Despite agreeing to see the spirit, Cat wasn't really prepared when Avi put a hand on her shoulder. How did you prepare yourself for something so... unusual? She jumped a little, gaping at the figure before her and offered a small wave farewell as Avi mentioned she couldn't sustain it. When the image of the ghost disappeared, Catriona felt temporarily speechless.

"That's... just... wow... how? How do ghosts exist?" A rhetorical question really. She didn't expect Avi to know the answer to the afterlife. And then a little quieter with eyes glued to the spot where Richard had been, Cat added in a whisper, "Is he still there?"
The sense of impending doom and unreality faded once she let go of her power and Avi sighed with relief. The other girl seemed to be very curious though and there were questions to answer.

How do ghost exist...? Well...

"Fuck if I know, they just... do." Avi said with a quiet snort. "And yeah, Richard is still here. He likes to make sure I'm safe."
They just do. It was as good an answer as she was likely to get. "Makes you wonder about hauntings a bit," Cat commented idly, wondering if the ghost stories she'd heard about growing up were real.

"That's, uh, kind of him," She remarked and shook her head a little, still in disbelief. "This might be the coolest power I've ever encountered." Ghosts 'n stuff. Unbelievable.
"Really now? Ah, I always wanted to have a power to make things go kaboom. Imagine the prank potential..." Avi said with a large grin on her face. She could make a watermelon into a ticking bomb and leave it at Matt's office... "Tell me about your plant powerrrsss...! Can you grow flowers?"
Ah yes, making things explode would be quite fascinating but it wasn't a connection to an alternate realm? Another plane of existence? The freaking afterlife?! Nope. Ghosts were cooler.

It would probably take years before Cat would get over the fact that ghosts exist. Maybe she'd never get over it.

"Aye! I can make them dance too," Cat beamed, happy to talk so openly about her ability, even if it paled in comparison to speaking to a spirit named Richard.
Avi looked at her wide-eyed as if Catriona told her she found the Atlantis.

"Oh my God, you sound like a literal Disney princess, this is so precious!" She gasped out. "And dang it, I wish my plants wouldn't die all the time..."
Cat laughed at Avi's reaction to her response. She had never been called a Disney princess before. Wasn't entirely sure how she felt about it but she let it go.

"I get that. I still kill them by accident from time to time when I'm practicing. It takes time to get used to caring for them even the non-magical way."
"How about I make you an offer." Avi said with a sly smile, resting hands on her hips. She'd make a great Elvira if she put more effort in her cosplay. "You teach me how to care of my plants and I tell you more about ghosts, ghouls and zombies."

Seemed fair!
Cat's jaw dropped.

"Ghouls and zombies exist too?!" She could hardly contain her excitement. Shaking her head in disbelief, Cat laughed a little and nodded. "Alright, deal." Easiest deal she'd ever made.
"Well, zombies do, definitely." Avi hummed thoughtfully. After all, she accidentally made some and promptly put back to rest. "And sweet! I'd love to invite you for coffe!"
Zombies fucking existed. How insane was this?! "Like... are we talking Night of the Living Dead?"

Coffee though sounded great. Cat pulled out her phone. "That sounds awesome mate. Let's exchange numbers and we can set that up." She grinned.
"Kinda, sorta... Mistakes were made." Avi said with a smile, biting her lower lip a little bit. Yeah, mistakes! Big mistakes! Lots of clean up and paperwork. "Sweet, my number is..."

She happily dictated her number and waited for a signal so she could save Cat's number as well.
Mistakes were made. That was an interesting way of putting it, and Cat tried not to look too intrigued. Which was difficult, considering Catriona typically didn't conceal how she felt about something. She wondered if a zombie apocalypse was imminent. Hoped it wasn't.

She quickly punched in Avi's number and saved her as 'Elvira' in her phone before sending a quick text so the other psychic would have her number.

"How long have you been speaking to ghosts and zombies?" Cat asked with a smile as she slipped her phone back into the pocket of her skirt.
"Ah, you see..." Avi chuckled, biting her lower lip again and shook her head. "I was in med school and we had our first dissection... I accidentally raised a zombie. I was... about 25, I think."

Yeah, that was the first time she accidentally used her power and figured out she even had them.
Holy smokes. Raising a zombie in med school. Cat would watch that horror film in a heartbeat.

"Woah, that's wild!" She breathed. "Was it in front of your class? Or were you alone at the time?"
"E... everyone saw..." She blurted out, embarrassed. "Then I beaten it back to death..."

Avi remembered the panic that it caused. Some people quit med school after seeing this, as it awakened deeply hidden fears in them. The school covered it up as weird rigor mortis related issue, but till the end of her studies, she was known as Lazarus.
Shit. That sounded... horrifying. Catriona could only imagine what the other students thought. What the professor thought! She wondered if they rationalized what happened. It was easier to rationalize with science than point to magic, something that, at that time, wasn't supposed to exist.

"Wow. That's... intense." Cat's eyes were still a little wide as she took in the story. "Do you still work in the medical field?"
Avi grinned and bowed to her, picking the sides of her dress.

"Doctor Avienne Bellamy, forensic examiner!" she chuckled, shaking her head. "Yeah, not only I work in medical field, but also I spend most of my life in the morgue."
Someone who could speak to ghosts and raise the dead worked in a morgue. Seemed kismet. Cat laughed a little at the bow and the introduction. "That must be so fascinating!" Cat was loving this woman's overall vibe, and she grinned back at the other psychic. "Do you encounter a lot of ghosts at work?"
"Yes, actually." Avi chuckled, with her head tilted to the side. "Helped me with some cases, when I felt stuck. Well... they knew better how they were killed."
Cat shook her head in further disbelief. What a wild thought. Solving how someone died by just asking their spirit. This was truly fascinating for the redhead, whose reality would likely never be the same again.

"I bet. It must be so fascinating!" Cat exclaimed with a glint of excitement in her eyes. "Have you encountered any really scary ghosts?" Were poltergeists real too?
"Not really. Richard mostly keeps them away." Avi said with a quiet chuckle. "But the longer I keep using my power, the stronger the looming presence of death gets..."

Yeah, that was the downside.
That was kind of Richard to look out for Avi and Catriona smiled a little. Her smile faltered slightly as the other woman continued.

"The looming presence of death?" Cat repeated, not quite sure she understood. Was that a side effect for Avi or did she mean more ghosts would start making their presence known?
"Feels like tapping into this world... kind of sucks me in." Avi explained it the best she could.
"Ah," Replied Cat, understanding a little bit more, wondering what it must be like to get sucked into a world of death. Probably not great. "That part doesn't sound fun." She gave the other woman a small, sympathetic smile.
"But I usually manage to turn it off before it gets really scary." Avi gave a bit of an apologetic smile. Didn't wanted to ruin the fun atmosphere.
"That's good." Cat nodded, figuring she would do the same in Avi's shoes. "Side effects can definitely be pretty lousy. I just deal with migraines and passing out with my powers."
"Aw, that sounds like a hassle." Avi sighed. Migraines were terrible! "Mmm, how about we meet? I could bring my ferns and show you more ghosts..."
They certainly were a hassle but such was the life of a psychic! “That would be great.” Cat smiled. “Let’s keep in touch and find a date that works for both of us and go from there,” She replied. “I think I might go hit up the refreshment table again. It was nice meeting you, Avi and you… Richard!” Cat said, directing her attention to the general area where she’d seen the ghost before.
"Ayeee, I'll call you!" Avi said with a grin and happily waved Catriona goodbye. Well, that was a rather lovely encounter.