Yellow Pages Just hit send
Catriona stared at the number scrawled across the post-it note and clicked her tongue. Rather than creating a new contact in her phone, the redhead pinned the post-it to her wall above her desk when she moved into her new place. At first, Cat told herself she hadn't contacted Kidd because of moving. Hey, maybe it was true. After all, moving out of your parents' house into a place of your own for the first time was a huge step and required a lot of attention.

Then a few more weeks passed by and still she hadn't reached out. Perhaps she was a little nervous to put herself out there. A little uncertain. Maybe she was still thinking about someone else.

But, Cat took a courageous breath in, then out. Entered the contact in her phone. Wrote a message:

Hey Kidd! It's Cat, from the record store. Sorry, it took me so long to reach out - was in the middle of a move. How are you doing?

Stared at it.

Sat her phone down and stood up from her seat at the kitchen table. Paced back and forth a little. Spoke to her cat, Kit, who offered a lackadaisical 'mrow' before falling back asleep.

Okay, she could do this. Catriona picked her phone up and hit send, wincing a little as the message went through.
He wasn't the type to reply right away. But he did have something of a sixth sense for messages coming through on his own phone. Didn't really tend to miss them.

But he gave it fight minutes before he stopped what he was doing to look at it. Another twenty-five before he replied.

Hey there, Cat. No worries, I hope the move went alright. Did you have to go far? I've been good, just settling into town. I didn't move here that long ago, myself.
Kidd

He put her down in his contacts as Cat, Records, just so he didn't run the risk of mixing her up with anyone else.

Truthfully, quite pleased to hear from her. Had expected maybe he wouldn't?
Seated at her kitchen table, Cat watched as a couple of minutes turned into five. She slid her phone further away from her and stood up. Eager to calm her nerves, Catriona moved to the kitchen sink and started washing the dishes.

It only took her fifteen minutes to clean and place them in the drying rack next to her sink. Still, no response. Maybe he was busy? Or maybe she'd blown it by waiting too long. With a resigned sigh, Cat picked her phone up off the kitchen table before moving to her bedroom to watch a movie, grabbing her copy of The Exorcist off the shelf along the way.

Catriona was only ten minutes in when she heard the ping of her phone. Quickly, she hit pause, saw the message was from Kidd and sat up a little straighter on her yellow couch. Almost immediately, Cat felt relieved as she read his response. She also realized he was new to town. Had she known that already?

It took Catriona five minutes to construct the message in her mind before she started typing it into her phone.

It did, thanks! Nope, not that far, fortunately. I found a nice little flat in Hawknell. I didn't know you were new to town! Welcome! blush
Cat, Records
She didn't reply immediately, which he liked. And as such, when his next reply came it wouldn't be with much controlled speed, himself. Just about as long as it took to read and reply--which for him was quick since he didn't actually have to touch the screen to compose the message. The perks of... magic? He was still figuring out how he felt about what the vampire had said to him.

Yeah, thanks! Hawknell is out on the east side of the county, right?
Kidd

He was a lot more certain about it than that text made him sound, but it was more endearing to not sound like a know-it-all.
Catriona looked at his question and debated how much small talk to actually partake in before finally just asking him to hang out. She didn't have any parties to invite him to, not unless he was a psychic, which she doubted. The chances of that were slim, even if it felt like she was meeting more and more people like her with each passing day.

Yeah! Home to the infamous Waffle Palace!
Where did you move from?
Cat, Records

A little bit of small talk couldn't hurt, right?
Waffle House! Well, that certainly sounded like... a place.

But it was very easy to be sweet and disarming on text. Kidd certainly didn't mind the small talk.

Flordia, if you can believe it. I'm not looking forward to navigating winter. cold
Kidd
Cat had never been to Florida. Hadn't travelled much during her time spent in America. She knew that it was a fairly warm state year round, though she wasn't entirely certain it would be first on her list of places to visit.

Oh wow! That's quite the change in scenery. Just get yourself a good coat and some boots and you'll be okay.

Cat had grown up in Highlands where the weather could change on a dime. She was used to bringing plenty of layers with her to in order to adapt to her environment.

If you ever want a semi-knowledgeable guide to show you around town, just let me know!
Cat, Records
On the other side of the line, Kidd was smiling a very placid smile. This was nice. She was nice. He took note of her advice and considered what sort of coats he could get himself...

I would love that. I think I've been doing pretty good getting around, but it's all just hitting places at random and hoping it's worth the time, you know?
Kidd
Cat also smiled, enjoying their exchange and glad he seemed up for meeting up again. She certainly understood where he was coming from. Much of her adult life had been spent wandering into establishments around Colorado and hoping for the best. There were some cool spots if you knew where to look, though Catriona could entertain herself almost anywhere.

I completely understand! That's been much of my life since we moved here from Scotland, haha. What are some of the places you've been that you enjoyed so far?
Cat, Records
Hmmm, tricky. The places that had left the most impression on him weren't exactly the nicest look for him. Well, Nightshade in particular. The other one though...

There was a nice little half-hidden bar in Alder Heights called Lotus that I had a nice evening at not too long ago. I've spent a good time on Brickley Street out here in Reignhart, too.
Kidd
Oho, the fancy side of town; a place Catriona wasn't as familiar with, outside of the weekend movies in the park. She didn't even know people her age could afford places in Reignhart.

Oh the Lotus is great! I haven't explored that much in Reignhart, apart from the park. Their free weekend movies are a must in the summertime if you're into that sort of thing.
Cat, Records

Obviously, Catriona was.
The fact that she already liked the Lotus was good to hear. Affirming in what he was already getting about her as a person. Eclectic, maybe. Appealing on several levels and not a woman stuck in a tiny niche.

I don't know that I've ever been to anything like that, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons. If you ever wanted to go, maybe?
Kidd
There was probably nothing Catriona loved more than watching movies and nature. Watching movies surrounded by nature, with company no less, was her idea of a perfect outing.

I'm in! They have a varied collection of films this summer. I'll send you a link to their list. Let me know if there's anything on it you would like to see blush
[link]
Cat, Records

On the list, there were films like Jurassic Park and The Princess Bride, among other family-friendly or lesser-known movies. There were even some black and white classics playing, including the original Godzilla movie. Cat was, of course, up for anything!
It was almost like she'd been waiting for him to suggest it first. :)

These all sound very fun. I've never actually seen the entirety of Godzilla, though...
Kidd
Godzilla was a good pick, one Cat was happy to see on the big screen, and let's face it, probably would have gone to see anyway with or without the company. Having company was preferred, however, and she grinned, glad this seemed to be working out.

Oh, Godzilla would look amazing on a big screen! I'm down.
Cat, Records

Catriona was fairly certain she was free that night...
Let's plan on it, then. I can always come pick you up, if you like.
Kidd

Even if it would be well out of his way... It made the gesture all the more vibrant, didn't it?
Oh God, picking her up sounded like a ridiculous thing to offer when you lived in the city where the park was located. There was no way she was going to agree to such a thing, even if it was a kind gesture. She'd just take public transit or borrow her dad's car for a night.

Oh, don't worry about it. I can meet you there! Thanks though.
Movie starts at 8. Should we aim for 7:30?
Cat, Records
Shame. But it was also reasonable of her. And she wasn't needy, which was cool.

I think that's perfect.
Kidd
Eyyy, they were on!

Was it a date? Or just a friend hang?

Cat wasn't entirely sure but either way worked for her. It was just cool to get to know someone new!

Looking forward to it!
Cat, Records