Zipper’s Baila en la Calle de Noche
Kara was p u m p e d for fight night. A whole night dedicated to nonstop action and blood, sweat, and were was her type of scene. So what, she hadn’t won anything so far in town against another were, that was fine. She was here for the fun of it all and the energy was practically buzzing every time she’d entered those doors.

Even on the way there, in Wallace’s car, she felt it, unable to stop smiling, thumping her foot to the beat of the radio, hands making drumming motions as they made conversation. It was when they were getting really close that a Shakira song came on and all attention narrowed in on it. Mimicking a mic, Kara instantly was at karaoke, Wallace’s car, the stage, her reluctant going friend, the audience.

As they neared the parking lot, Kara was at the chorus and was looking to Wallace, nudging his shoulder with her hand.

“C’mon, you know this,” she pleaded, looking towards him and then, here came the line. ”I’m on tonight, YOU KNOW MY HIPS DON’T LIE!” The mic was then leaned his way.
Veloster Roster. Minus the roster, tonight. Just the Veloster, and Wallace, and... Kara.

Who honestly was pretty cool but also deeply embarrassing him. Not with her singing--that was kind of... fun to watch. But trying to involve him was...! He took a breath and tried to dredge the words from some part of his memory where he'd heard this before.

(Why was she so good at making him do things.)

"...nnnn, feel you, boy?" Slightly unsure, hesitant on the words even if the tune was easier to follow. "Come on, let's go, real slow. Don't you seeeee... and then you lose me at the Spanish." But that last bit 'sang' by mashing it into the notes.

Were they almost there? He was pretty sure that was the lot up there. Lots of cars tonight. Had to be.
To her absolute giddiness, Wallace followed through after some working through of memory. And then he finally got the words out to a tune and she nodded in encouragement, a wide ‘ol grin on her face, tapping her foot to the beat.

At the cut off for the Spanish she cackled out a laugh. It wasn’t that hard compared to some other lines. ”That was good! Remind me we gotta go karaoke sometime.”
"Oh god, okay." He would not, but that wasn't the good thing to say to an enthusiastic friend! And he didn't want to give her ideas about how she would need to remember it for herself. She was too powerful as it was.

"But first we have to go and watch a bunch of people chew on each other. You sure you don't want to keep driving past and go get pizza?"

They had literally been eating on the way here. But that didn't matter to him right now!
Hell yeah! They were gonna have a blast, she could practically see it now. If it weren’t for Fight Night right now, she might’ve asked to redirect their plans to instead do that.

Speaking of, it sounded like Wallace was trying to back out. Absolutely not, this was the night and she’d already had plans to fight a certain bear.

”And miss out on all the action? No way! I can’t let Natasha think I wussed out.” As if there was a world in which that was the case, psh!
Natasha... familiar name? Maybe? Wallace had a hard time keeping track of weres that he knew. Knew a bunch of bears and jaguars and stuff but... yeah, whatever. He'd see!

"Alright, alright, fine. I'll let you go get your black eye," he conceded, and turned into the lot to find a space. He always felt a little sketchy parking his cherished vehicle in Rice Bluff, but... well, it'd be fine.

"Other that bears and like... Asha... who else you know that'll be here?" This, he asked as they were getting out of the veloster. He realized he didn't exactly know how broad her scope was compared to his own.
Kara crossed arms and gave a triumphant smile. ”Good.”

Moving to get out of the vehicle once it was parked, she listened and then poked her head out in time with Wallace so nothing was broken up before shutting the door.

”Uhhh,” she thought, looking up at the twinkling sky, some dusty purples way off to the distance still visible. Going through the weres she knew, which weren’t many, Kara was frustratingly coming up with nada. ”That’s it,” she shrugged, looking to him again.
"Oh good, then I don't have to be embarrassed about how unpopular I am." Not that he was at great risk of that. He'd never put much stock into having a bunch of friends--just important ones. Nonetheless, it was kind of nice to know they weren't going to walk in there and be swarmed by people cooing over Kara and asking who her friend was with knowing looks and leans in their eyes.
What the hell was that supposed to mean? Wallace, the bears, she was practically thriving over here. Could she do with a lot more people to know? Well, yeah, but sometimes a small group of really good individuals was all you needed.

A hand came out to give a very soft punch to his shoulder. ”Don’t sell yourself short, shortstack. Bet you know more than I can count over here.”
He doubted that! A lot! He tried to think of weres he knew. Could put names or even a phone number to.

There were... just a few. But maybe he was forgetting some.

"Guess we'll find out," he said, and didn't punch her back but did softball her a look. They were headed toward the entrance now, too aware of everything in the air. A million animals, it felt like.

Grateful when he didn't get any strong wafts of tiger. He hadn't thought about Aisling or Dag in a while. Maybe they'd given up, like every attempted ambush always did.
She guessed they would. Kara smiled for the look, confident strides picking up as they made their way to the entrance. It smelt like animal and beer and sweat, the air practically having a thickness to it that the dog wanted to bite into.

”Is your roommate gonna be here?” The question popped into her brain as she pulled open the door for them.
Shook his head--easy enough to answer.

"Nah. I think last year turned him off of it and he's got some stuff going on."

The sort of thing where Wallace was aware--because it was impossible not to be when you lived with him and he was your best friend--but hadn't dug around because it wasn't his business. And he also like... sort of didn't want to know. Shit stressed him out. If he was needed and could be helpful, Abraham would let him know.

Anyway.

"Maxine going to be here? I haven't talked to her in ages."

Story of his life, to be fair.
The fateful Fight Night of 2020 taking another victim. :( RIP. ”Gotcha.”

Inside, it was loud and muffled, but she could still make out the question, her smile brimming. ”Yeah! I bet you can find her hanging around with the sleuth.”
"Guess we'll have to say hi."

He made it a collective gesture but then realized... well, they were going to have to explain why they were hanging out if they both saw someone they collectively knew!

Ah well, really, Wallace, Maxine would be the easier choice for that moment than say... Asha...

Who he would miss seeing at all in this mess, and miss the departure of as well, but for the best for everyone so he didn't need to worry over her or worry anyone else over her.

Anywho. "You really going to fight tonight? You aren't worried about getting an arm taken off or anything?" Kara wasn't a terribly large person. Or animal. And there were bears and lions and shit.
”Yeeep,” she agreed with a popping ‘p’. Maxine was def on the list, the bear easily someone she’d grown fond of in all of a few meets.

There was a lot to see like the streamers, the giant hunks of meat, the skulls. Where was she supposed to look first? Where was the sign up table? Somewhere… over there!

Wallace’s question had Kara shaking her head, hands to her hips. ”Nah, you just gotta bite them before that happens.” These games were as safe as a were could make ‘em, afterall! ”It’ll be fun.”
Ah yes, bite them! A solution to everything...

Wallace sweated gently in his heart at the idea of it.

"If you say so," he said, unconvinced. He'd never fought anyone for fun, not like this. Even all the threats from an old girlfriend to train him up had never come to anything. Maybe that didn't make him very fun, but he wasn't really worried about being fun.

"I'll root for you. I don't need you getting blood in the veloster."
She did say so! Kara nodded to it, laughing some as she led the way to the sign up table. There was a thought about sneaking him in, but frankly, that wouldn’t go well. No, she’d just have to pummel him some other way in the future.

A snort let out at his comment as she picked up a pen, looking to him. Knowing Wallace would be cheering her on was nice, but the car comment opened wide for a bit of a tease. ”Ah c’mon, a little blood accent here and there would make some killer interior, don’t you think?” It’d be lived in!
"Ah yes, it's a bit like the... hanging meat aesthetic..." He said, eyeing what appear to be half a rack of ribs hanging near his head.

What the fuck was any of this, really? Whose idea had this been? It felt insane. And also low low low key he sort of wanted to bite it. Which just made the whole thing way worse.

He let her sign up, even if he still thought it was all crazy.
”Exactly,” she agreed, name making an edition to the roster with a note to pair her up with Natasha.

Clicking the pen closed, she put it down, giving a big grin. ”We gotta find out who the interior decorator is, bet they’d make a killer haunted house.” Meat curtains and all.
"The last time I went to a haunted house I almost shifted," he confessed without shame, giving Kara a very pointed look.

He guess he sort of figured if she was going to be his friend she was due a very clear picture of exactly the kind of tiger she was dealing with!
He almost shifted, the kinda news that had her blinking at him with a ‘really’ sort of expression, the dog giving her a view of the stronger tiger just to be sure, before a laughing smile took hold. ”Yeah? Well.”

Getting closer she leaned in and lowered her voice. ”You repeat this and I’ll kill you, but last time I watched a scary movie I almost shifted at a jump scare.”
He laughed, then put a hand over his beard to muffle the outburst.

"God, Kara, maybe we are two peas in a pod."

She was just the one willing to fight a bear.
Her gaze narrowed with pulled brows at the laugh, trying awfully hard to look intimidating around a smile that only got stronger, dog chomping towards the waft of tiger right there. Just give it one go at the stripey tail!

Two peas in a pod, huh?

”Ha, maybe! Makes it easy to hang out fo’ sure.”
"And I'm fucking glad for that," he told her, nudging her shoulder with his.

Seriously, though. It was nice to feel like he'd seriously made a friend with her.

He wasn't dreading sitting and whiling away the evening with her. Even if the venue could have been better.