Lauderhill Finality

A little while after this

Matilda sat on her living room sofa, having already welcomed her three guests into her basement apartment. It was late. Emotionally spent without being physically tired was a strange feeling but Matilda pushed it all aside to focus on the present. They couldn't think about the past anymore. With the clutch dissolving and Dani's unexpected turning, Tilda had a lot on her plate to figure out and limited time to do so. She had to do right by the woman she'd left behind.

Even if she hadn't been anywhere near the zoo the night Dani was attacked, Tilda couldn't help but feel a little responsible. Guilty. If she'd been stronger, perhaps Daniella would have stayed in New York and perhaps none of this would have happened.

She needed to be strong though, and that meant focusing on what came next for them. She would check in with Jaime and Zara soon once she knew things were going to work out okay for Dani. Well. As okay as someone could be with dying violently and becoming a vampire. Tilda had made it through okay though, hadn't she? Maybe she'd put her trust in the wrong leader but overall, she had done alright for herself, right?

Pleasantries had, more or less, been addressed in the car ride from Cheyenne Point to Lauderhill. There was Catrina, who Matilda had yet to fully introduce beyond stating she was a friend. Matilda didn't know Elena at all but she'd helped them that evening and had the trust of the domina, so that was enough for her.

Then there was Dani. Gosh. Poor Dani.

Once everyone was settled wherever they wanted to sit - or stand - Tilda would look around the room and clear her throat a little.

"Thank you again for helping us out tonight," She spoke to both Catrina and Elena before surrendering the floor to Catrina, should she want to take over from here.
Reality was drawing to a close for Daniella. She was faced with the fantastic, far beyond anything she would have ever wanted. She was also, slowly, regaining some of her memories of the incident.

It was upsetting to say the least.

The women who accompanied Tilda had been kind, extremely so. As she thanked them, Dani looked over to them and nodded, feeling that if she said something it meant she had to talk more.

She could just listen.
Elena sat the furthest from the group, having given the preferred seating to those who fully grasped the situation.

She had not expected to follow along to the house after her usefulness had expired, but she wouldn't say no to good company. The young women before her were strangers. However, they were polite and had been gracious enough to allow Elena inside. That was enough to give her a favorable opinion.

Elena dipped her head and smiled at the thanks bestowed, returning the gratitude with clasped hands.

Now seated, she crossed her ankles and waited. The intriguing puzzle soon to be solved.
And here they all were, the lot of them fit into Matilda’s Lauderhill apartment after a general flurry of activity. Elena had helpfully gotten Daniella discharged without a snag and had joined them and all was well on the front of the initial concern that had put to motion the aside.

Gratitude was given and she smiled warmly towards Matilda and the newly met Dani. ”Of course, I’m glad you let me know of the situation and that Elena was able to assist. You’ve both dealt with a lot recently and I’d rather you home safe.”
Matilda forced herself to smile, to be as gracious as she could be under the circumstances. They were still sitting in the presence of a very powerful vampire, even if she was kind and willing to help them. It wouldn't assist them in any way to be rude.

Matilda would, if Dani allowed, reach a hand over to her ex-wife and give it a small squeeze. A show of support. Comfort. She looked to her then to see if Daniella had any immediate questions or if she was just willing to listen.
Allowed. Dani didn't really know what to do, say. She looked between the women she didn't really know and the one she did. Was she supposed to say something? She was still in shock, or — maybe it was just not wanting to face this sudden reality.

Her mouth opened once, and nothing.

Hapless gaze around.
There was a moment provided for either to speak up, but in lieu of words a hand was found and gaping for words was had. Well alright then, she could fully steer the conversation as it naturally progressed. Perhaps, catering towards it as she would any person in this position would be best and allow the rest of the night to intermingle?

Drawing in a breath through her nose, posture perfect, Catrina would implore with a hand to Dani, looking between the two women while she spoke. ”Matilda has told me that she was able to give you a synopsis of your current status?” Rhetorical for all she did give a brief beat of a pause for any need for interruption. ”I am curious as to where your head is at at the moment. Both of you. You can be honest.”
Okay. Alright. That was something to answer.

Daniella drew in a breath sharper than she intended, her windpipe surprisingly tight against it. It was a normal human experience, but she still questioned it. Sign of change??

A soft cough behind a sleeve cuff. A swallow.

"Um. I guess. It's just hard for me to believe that I'm... that's happening to me. I guess it hasn't sunk in."
There was a stressed inhale and Catrina wondered just what thoughts were tied to it. She couldn’t help, but curiously actively tune in to hearing the only heartbeat in the room as if that might shed answers before words ever could.

Catrina nodded slowly to the reveal. ”It is a big change and opportunity to suddenly consider. Had you any experiences with vampires before now?”
She shook her head, but looked to Tilda also.

"Only just learned my wife was one."

Exes be damned.
Matilda gave Dani's hand another squeeze just to show she was there. She wouldn't correct her choice of language, even if it was a bit confusing. She was there to be supportive.

She'd glance between Dani and Catrina, wondering how she had gotten through those traumatizing few weeks alone. At least, Daniella wouldn't have to do this alone. She would have options.
That was certainly an edit to words used prior and she looked to the hands with curiosity, but made no comment upon the matter. The relationship would develop and unfold how it was meant and she was simply a surveyor interested in the eventual outcome of how pieces lay.

Instead, Catrina nodded, focusing on the answer to the question. Having Matilda be the only experience certainly made things much easier. ”And she is a talented one at that,” she smiled, letting that sit with a proud beat before continuing ever on. ”Forgive me if I am repeating what you may already know. As someone in a limbo state, are you aware that you have till the new moon to make the decision of joining her on this path?”
A soft shake of her head. "No. I- what do you mean? If I don't, do I just... stay normal?"

"Normal."

"Alive."
Matilda was grateful for the compliment sent her way, and she offered Catrina a small bow of her head.

But yeah. Right, they hadn't... hadn't discussed this part yet. Things at the hospital had been so fresh; raw. Matilda knew it was a conversation best left for another time, and it appeared that time was now. She wondered if she should be the one to deliver this news. If it was better coming from her, than Catrina.

With a glance at Catrina, Tilda looked at Dani and tried to hide the sadness from her tone.

"Unfortunately, no. If you don't drink human blood to complete the transition by the next new moon, you... will die," The words were spoken quietly. It was ultimately a choice thrust upon her ex-wife and it was extremely unfair. Wasn't much of a choice if one wanted to keep living. Even as a vampire.
Ah, so this was new. A part of her wished it had been already disclosed, but no matter they were here now.

Both terms weren’t necessarily the best description for her state of being now, but what was trying to be described was impossible. The glance from Matilda had her pausing, allowing the younger to take the reins.

What was provided was succinct and Catrina waited to hear Dani’s reply.
"I..."

It was not fair. Not really. She- of course she'd given thought to this. But. In the future! Maybe! Once she and Tilda had actually like, grown their relationship out.

Dani swallowed.

"Okay."

What other choice did she have, really? She'd thrown away her life to come here to reconnect with Tilda again. And. Now. She'd throw away her life again.
It broke her heart to hear it. It wasn't fair at all, and it weighed heavily on Matilda as she gently squeezed the woman's hand in hers.

"I'm sorry."

She felt responsible. If only she'd been better at turning Daniella away from the start. If only, she'd had the strength to keep away altogether. But no, she'd brought Daniella to a place where there was a hotbed of supernatural activity. Matilda didn't know what else could be done to stop the transition if it was already happening. There was drinking human blood and waking up a vampire on the new moon. Or death.

Her words faltered her, and Tilda looked back to Catrina, wondering if the older, wiser vampire had words of comfort to offer.
There was no immediate answer, in fact some trepidation and a word finally spoken that felt more so an understanding of the situation than certain agreement to taking on a new path in life. An answer soaked in uncertainty then? Matilda offered comfort where she could, but the look towards Catrina spoke for help in a way that the girl couldn’t provide.

Catrina could try, being a vampire longer than she ever had been a human certainly put a different perspective on the matter, but remembering her bright eyed innocent young self was ever the cardinal direction.

”Dearie, you’ve been thrust into this so quickly and it really is such an enormous decision to have fallen into your lap. But, all jumps that really matter in this life are.” All of this she spoke kindly towards, speaking words informed by many talks before heard from peers and her own sire. There was always risk in this world, but it was best to grab it by the throat and make it yours than continue to be swayed to the fates without so much as speaking a word. Being given the choice of becoming a vampire or succumbing to an unfair early death was truly a decision that echoed the sentiment.

”Everything may seem overwhelming, perhaps frightening at the beginning, but you won’t be alone, I assure you.”
Tilda didn't have to be sorry. It wasn't her fault, ultimately, but Dani was without the ability to soothe someone else when she was already so cornered and, frankly, scared.

A soft nod. An accepting nod, to the red-head's words. Okay, no take backs. Not like she ever had a chance, honestly, but.

No take backs.