Zipper’s Sweet Escape

@Eunji Kang
Outfit and look

Eunji was at the bar! Maxine was closing in on the bar! Having her blinders on wasn’t so bad of a way at easing into the night. She’d hover around later, swear on it!

Fooooor now.

With a gentle touch on the smaller Were’s shoulder, she appeared beside her. ”Well hello beautiful!” Unless rejected, she’d use the hand to welcome her into a friendly hug.
There were so many new smells going on around her that Eunji couldn't have sensed Maxines approach if she wanted to, staring absently in the direction of the current fight as her mind wandered on just how exactly this was fun. The punches being thrown sounded rather painful to her ears, and the fox was pretty tense with anxiety from the whole thing. She was very happy that Maxine hadn't asked her to join in on anything, because that would have been a total disater.

As if on cue, the woman of her thoughts would appear behind her, practically sending Eunji out of her skin at her gentle touch.

"Oh Maxine!" Instant relaxation as the very familiar face filled her gaze. "Hey sorry, I didn't see you coming." A hug would be returned, the fox relaxing some at the familiar scent.
She embraced her softly over the shoulders, closing her eyes. This time Maxine earned a glimpse into the metaphysical world and saw a flash of grey and russet fur.

”That’s alright,” she chuckled as she stepped back, resting a forearm on the bartop. ”Was it easy enough to find this place? I know the first time I stumbled in here it was sort’ve by accident.”
The place was pretty obscure, but with both the pinged directions and the overwhelming scent of Were, Eunji had found it pretty easily. If this had been any other night, she wasn't quite sure she could say the same.

"It wasn't too difficult with all the scents." She answered, eyes glancing back towards the ring as another resounding thunk filled the air. "Have you ever fought here then?" She couldn't really imagine the pretty woman in the ring, but Maxine seemed to always be filled with surprises.
As luck would have it.

”I have. Not on this night but I have. I had my butt handed to me,” Maxine admitted, laughing wryly but in a sort of... self-deprecating way. She’d been so sore about it, too! Sworn vengeance! ”The girl was a wolf and from what I know, completely new to being a Were. So... I underestimated her. Big time. And that’s just about the worst thing you can do in the ring.”
She was very glad for the confirmation that she would not be participating in tonights fighting. She was absolutely positive that her fox would totally freak if it saw her only friend getting attacked, regardless if she was winning or not.

Although, Maxing was stating that she had fought and lost once before, and so maybe it was more plausible for her to be on the losing end? She believed that the bear was strong, but there was a very big difference in fighting as an animal, and fighting in a ring as human. "I would probably end up on the losing end as well." What was it that Maxine had stated? "Get my butt handed to me, as you said."

A very weird saying...

"I don't know the first thing about fighting."
Maxine didn’t like hearing any of what came next.

”You don’t know that,” she countered, cool and casual but also. ”I’d vouch that most Weres feel or’ve felt the same as you. It’s just sort of instinct when you get in there, though.”

She tapped the bartop gently, briefly switching lanes with a pearly smile.

”Want that drink?”
Eunji would just have to take Maxines word for it because she honestly could never see herself signing up to beat or get beaten by anyone for fun. It didn't sound like a good time to her, nor her fox and so she would stick to the sidelines and simply drink and watch what went down.

Speaking of drinks, Maxine was offering, and Eunji grinned in acceptance. "Oh definitely." She chirped, "thanks." A glance behind the woman as a thought suddenly occurred to her.

"Did you come with those bears you mentioned?"
TEQUILA, shrieked the raging twenty-something year old that was still in her sometimes, but Maxine ordered two beers instead and handed over the cash right away. In her head that was a safe bet.

She shook her head lightly at the question. "They're probably around here somewhere but no. Sort've... like having my own car on me when I go out. Makes me feel a little more independent? Like I can leave whenever, that type of thing."
Eunji figured she would be the same if she was more confident in her driving skills, but with her wibbly mergers, and the three backing up incidents she had when exiting her parking spot. Eunji was hardly ever allowed behind the wheel unless she was making very long trips, and even then, she preferred that someone else tag along and drive instead. Korea just hadn't prepared her enough for the driving life.

"Yeah, never know when issues might arise." She'd been to quite a few gatherings that ended in some sort of heated argument or debate. "You just can't leave me hanging here too early. I still have to wait on my Uber."
She chuckled, leaning towards her as you did in bars when conversation happened. She hadn't meant it like that, like issues, but Eunji... was right about that.

"Like I'd ever," Maxine promised. Beers covered the distance from one side of the bartop to the other, and she took both, handing Eunji hers. "Cheers to... a good night? And making friends. I'm glad you found time to come."
Eunji chuckled, taking the offered glass and lifting it in the air.

"Cheers." She mimicked, bringing the beer to her lips as her eyes wandered the room. "Hopefully some of those new friends include foxes..." A glance back towards Maxine, a curious quirk to her brow. "Wouldn't happen to know any?"
Maxine took her first sip and it hit the sweet spot. ”Not yet. I’ll mill around though and let you know if I sniff out any,” she returned cheekily.

She turned some, facing the ring which was being mopped down.

Her and Eunji hadn’t had much of a chance to speak freely that last time, which made her appreciate this environment even more. Didn’t have to think twice. ”Did you know many in Korea? You said you grew up there, right?”
Maxine didn't know of any off the top of her head, but given that she would be sniffing around for some for her did make her feel quite a bit better. Two noses were better than one after all, and it was pretty rough being out of a group for the first time, let alone experiencing it in a whole other country. It had been her choice though, and so she couldn't really blame anyone other than herself.

Maxine's question would mirror her thoughts, Eunji taking another drink before speaking. "Yeah lived there pretty much my whole life." She nodded, glancing towards the ring. "The girl who bit me was apart of a small group and so I ended up joining. There were only four of us total." All girls. All young.
Maxine had attachment issues when it came to... places. She was working past it, growing, trying to not lean on anything other than herself these days, but she still couldn't think of, well. It was just, Eunji had to have a whole lot of inner strength to move countries? Continents? Cultures?

As a Were, especially. It sounded sort of terrifying.

"Three now though?" she prompted, curious.
It was hard not to wish that the whole group had just dispersed and that none of the girls remained together. A childish desire to believe that things had not worked out for any of them, and they were all left picking up the pieces of their life and starting over as she was. Only, she knew that this was most likely not the case and that they were doing the same stuff and thriving just as much as they had when she had been apart of it.

"Most likely," she sighed with a nod. "Things didn't work out with us, but the other three seemed pretty close even after I left." It was hard not to crinkle her nose at the memories of them.
Oh, well. It sounded like there were a whole lot of feelings involved there. Three versus one had never been anything but a recipe for disaster.

Maxine frowned, lips pursing. She watched as Eunji crinkled her nose and she wondered if she might’ve walked them into a conversation the other hadn’t been wanting to have.

”Sorry to hear,” she tried to wash away the bad feelings, trying for a smile.
"No sorries." She corrected quickly, "It's for the best anyways, I have a lot more to look forward here than I ever did there." She had her father here, new opportunities and she was already starting to make some Were friends which was a huge plus.

"What about you? You said you moved back, is there a reason you left?"
Only if she was sure.

The question was turned back on Maxine, and she went quiet for a few moments, nails tapping her beer. When a story was like an avalanche, where did you start or even end?

”I had issues with my old group too. Didn’t agree with a lot of things, didn’t feel like I was being valued, or heard, or... anything.” Really selling Ridgefield well! But she had to be sincere. Remember when Levka offered her 25% for a business venture she had been the one to cook up? Yeah, alright! ”It sort’ve affected my worth after a while, so when I left I also left town to figure it out.”

Sounded silly because it was, sort of like her whole life. Maxine sighed.
Perhaps groups just never worked out on the first try? It made sense in her mind at least, that a new Were would easily fall into the system of joining whatever pack the person who changed them was apart of. Lost and unsure of their new life, they would most likely be too occupied with figuring out everything other than what the personalities and goals around them were like... At least that had been the case on her part.

It did make her a bit sad to hear that Maxine had been questioning her worth, that someone had made her question herself, but she was happy to hear it had changed. At least it had changed enough that she had returned.

"Did you figure everything out that you needed to?"
Eunji had some tough questions for her, but, oddly, she didn’t feel judged when she was in her presence. It made speaking freely easy.

”I... I don’t know yet,” Maxine thought about it, voice lifting in a sort of chirp as she looked off into the distance. There were still some stones which’d been left unturned. ”Ask me in a couple months?”
She had somewhat expected this sort of answer, a smile unconsciously pulling at her lips as she lifted her glass in a sort of salute.

"In a couple months then." She agreed with a wink, moving to take a sip. "Hopefully by then we both have our ducks in a row."
Sounded a lot like some sort of pact to look out for each other. Maxine mirrored Eunji, tilting her head some as she followed it with a sip.

”C’mon, let’s watch our first fight,” she decided and began leading them to the chairs with a glance back to Eunji. ”Unleeess you’re scared of getting close?”

Mean. :)