High Point Mall inertial
It had been a long time since he'd skated, but it wasn't generally doing things that unsettled Fitz-Lloyd. It was all the people that often were in the path of said activity. He considered himself a moderately decent skater the last time he'd tried it out. Confident on his feet, not afraid of a little physical risk. If he'd been alone he would have been entirely bold about it, he imagined.

Not that it ever really worked out that way. He had shown up here on the first day of the new season for the indoor skating rink, thinking... maybe since it wasn't actually so cold out it wasn't on people's minds and not so many would show up.

Plenty of people showed up.

Still, he did not like letting himself coward out just because some people happened to be around, so he'd cinched up his determination and his laces and put himself out there.

No one spoke to him, no one even seemed to pay him much mind. It was ideal, and he took to doing laps around with everyone else, avoiding slower or uncertain skaters, wondering if he should have invited Luisa...

Distracted for a second too long by the wander of his own thoughts, he grimaced when someone crossed his path and faltered. Unable to slow in time to avoid them, he put his hands up to brace right as he collided with them.

legging s+ big grey hoodie

This was one of those things you talk yourself into doing, wasn't it? She'd skated as a child, but it'd been upwards of fifteen years since her last lesson. But it was getting cold, and running couldn't stay her own source of exercise.

She'd thought this would be less embarrassing than the gym.

It wasn't quite like riding a bike, where you remember how to do it after a while. But she hadn't bowled over any children in the first five minutes on the ice, and that had given her just the right sense of false confidence that she tried to pick up speed and join the flow of other skaters away from the wall.

It wasn't surprising that her heavy-footed shuffle had brought her careening into someone's path. Luck was all she had to thank for being able to turn in to face the man and grab him by the elbows. But inertia, kept her legs moving, awkwardly spreading out to either side beneath her. Like bambi, but the deer was cuter.
Alarming!

The woman grasped him for leverage to keep from falling, and he teetered in the effort to not tip over and fall right on her. That was... it was utterly not an acceptable outcome. Strength was a help here, but the continued movement and the glide of the ice did not make for a steady countermeasure.

"Oh my--I'm. I'm sorry," he bleat, because he must get right to the apologies so no one thought he'd dared to do this on purpose. He strained to keep her from sinking further, but he got the bad feeling he was failing.
"Its- Sorry! Um-" She stammered between his own frantic apologies, trying desperately to point her toes back in and straighten up.

If she could, she'd melt the ice below her, and simply sink out of existence. Unfortunately, it remained an unforgivingly hard surface below her, and one she was swiftly coming to terms with having to meet with.

"Okay-" It was a lost cause. The best she could hope for was to fall gracefully. She did her best, aiming to slide her legs out to the side so she wouldn't trip him up, and landing heavily on one buttocks. She let go, hopeful not to bring him down with her in the process.
Down she went, as purposefully as anyone could possibly hope to. But he followed slightly in hopes of making her fall less jarring, and that was his mistake. His grace failed him in that instant as she made contact with the ice, and as he tried to straighten up, his skates went right out from under him. Landing hard on his side on the ice, he gave a good oof about it, then slid further, winded.

Going to feel that one later, though thankfully not for long.
Y'know. This was the kind of thing you imagine when you try and talk yourself out of going ice-skating. Something you can convince yourself just happens in movies. But here it was, happening. Way less gracefully than in any film. Not so much a meet-cute as a oh-god-this-is-mortifying.

People skated around them, some laughing, others ignoring them out of pity. Edith winced at the agony of embarrassment, and the radiating soreness of her backside. It was awfully cold.

"Are you alright, sir?" She ventured once she was sure he hadn't cracked his head open. Still, he'd hit the ice pretty hard, and was likely winded.
He had to lay there a moment. Fitz-Lloyd didn't have much pride to wound, but he had enough to batter around a little bit. Easier to stay here and not try and get up straight away, for all there were truly no good options if he didn't want to be a spectacle.

"I-I'm fine," he was hasty to assure, but had to take a good breath right after. It had been a while since he'd taken a fall.

"Really, very sorry about--all that."

He put a heel down into the ice to try and start finding traction.
Well, at least he was unscathed. At least, physically. She couldn't speculate about his pride, but if her own was any indication, then both of them would need a bit of icing to recover. Just not... this ice. Bad analogy.

Edith tried for a smile, and began the careful process of getting up on her knees, "It was my fault, I think. Don't know why I thought I knew what I was doing." Usually, she was painfully aware of her surroundings. But being out on the ice made her feel like a self-conscious child again.
With just enough grip to get himself sitting without his butt sliding out from under him, Fitz groaned as softly as he could without making a show of the way he was pretty positive he had bruised several somethings.

"Oh, lots of people don't know what they're doing," he... reassured? Well, that was the attempt, anyway. "I should have watched out better."
While not the most optimistic outlook, Edith had to agree that his assessment was true. And, it seemed, he counted himself among that majority. "We'll share the blame, then." She decided with a small laugh.

Then, after a moment of sitting there upon her knees, asked, "Do you know how to stand back up?" She was... almost certain there was some specific method to it. At least, if you wanted to do it gracefully.
After such a fall, it was nice to feel on the same page--and also competent in her next question. "Ah, uhm, yes, actually. Here, I'll just show you... if that's okay."

Of course it was, so he started by showing her, "Just get one... knee like this? Where your one skate is planted." He did this, his knee at a right angle as he made sure he had a secure line on the ice with that one foot. "Soon as that feels secure, just push... push up like this." Weight balanced into that one leg, he stood up, putting his other foot down.

"It's not too hard, just make sure you have got to where your base foot doesn't slide."

He supposed he could offer her a hand, if she didn't manage.
Easy, simple instructions. And contrary to what the previous minute might suggest, Ed wasn't hopelessly unathletic. The ice was just not forgiving. But, she mirrored his movements, and managed to find her balance. Body aching, especially in some more unmentionable regions, she rose to her feet.

"Thank you." She exhaled as she widened her stance, and reaffirmed her balance on two feet. "Now to get back to the wall." She added with a self-pitying laugh as a gaggle of young girls gracefully glided past. "I think I need to be benched."
"Oh! Uhm... would you like some help over there? I'm, well. I'm moderately confident. But maybe in need of a sit down myself."

Should he offer his hand? He had no idea. This was all very silently alarming.