Alameda In The Name of Corn

Outfit

Technically Hunter Hopper had been clearance to drive again after a few days following his concussion. However, he still didn't feel the best, and putting other drivers at risk wasn't his forte, so he'd been hoofin' it since. Not that Hunter left his apartment often, naturally a shut-in as well as being busy with his work, it was easy to say Hunter didn't need to go many places. Food and marijuana, were probably the ONLY exception to this hermit rule, Hunter could only go so long without food (and pot).

Tonight was a simple food run, a desire to tame the ever-building munchies that seemed to evolve every time he partook in recreational smoking. This kid ordered WAY too much food but was very pleased with his choices as he walked out of the park, heading down the long side walk that would eventually lead him back home.

Having a park dedicated to food trucks so close to your apartment was DANGEROUS, with so many options, even for someone who ate strictly vegetarian!

Hands balancing the feast of the night: vegan-monster-style fries, veggie burrito, fried plantains, an entire bag of fresh pupusas, sweet elotes, AND spicy elotes, Hunter couldn't help but snack. Trying to eat some of his fries while walking was no easy task as he couldn't use his hands, he was just shuffling and tipping the container upwards to roll messy fries into his mouth.

Of course, things would not end well for those who could not wait, as he tilted the container of fries up again, the elotes that were wrapped in tinfoil, slipped from under his arm and began to roll into the street. His natural reaction was to chase them, running into the street with little regard for his surroundings.

MY ELOTES!

outfit + denim jacket

Maybe rollerskating was an unusual way to get around, even with the weird surprise increase in popularity they'd had in the past few years, but Jack really liked it. Feeling the wind in his hair, pushing across the ground and just sailing past crowds and down hills, through the park, like floating, carefree. Jack had come here specifically for one food van he'd fallen in love with on his last visit and happily gorged himself at one of the tables close by, and immediately after had decided it was time to dispose of his trash responsibly and then start making tracks, planning to indeed skate the entire way from here to Opal Wash before sundown.

It was some distance. His legs probably wouldn't thank him, even with the weird DNA-magic his body was working with. But it would keep the cat satisfied for the night, so Jack was as ready as he'd ever be for the journey, pushing himself out to the street, passing some stoner dude who had an abundance of food in his arms. Didn't get an animal sense off him. Just a case of the munchies then!

Sharp hearing caught the drop of the foil wrapped treats and Jack immediately turned to help, only to watch in horror as the dude waddled after his food into the path of an oncoming car.

Okay! Not good!

Aiming to grab the dude around the waist, Jack launched into the street with zero regard for his own safety or worries about outing himself just by doing this, hoping to pull the guy back to safety. The car swerved regardless, with a lot of yelling from the driver, and the foil wrapped snacks rolled back, caught behind Jack's skate.

A hefty sigh of relief, or more of a blow, pushing air through pursed lips to release the tension. That felt... close!

"You okay, buddy?" he breathed, pushing his own hair out of his face.
Saving the corn was his top priority here, trying to stop the rolling food with his foot. It was a total lack of judgement—a total shit call. Hunter didn’t even have time to realize how shitty his rescue mission was going until he was being yanked back to the sidewalk like a little yo-yo.

In the process of this inhuman rescue, the other food items that were precariously stacked in his hand flew from his hands, landing everywhere BUT Hunter’s mouth. :(

Whatever had grabbed him was strong and the last thing he thought before seeing the car veering away from them was: ’my snacks…’

Quickly realizing his stupidity, he righted himself and gasped, looking back at whatever saved him and was very surprised to find a human! Not some angel with wings—just some beautiful man!

"Fuck!" He exclaimed, realizing the close call, "I’m so sorry!"
Only now that the dude was out of danger and utterly sustenance-less did Jack realise what he'd done. In saving the poor guy he'd scattered his meal(s) all over the road, and none of it seemed salvageable. Of course the guys life was a lot more important than any of that stuff but it still felt real bad to have dumped his food all over the street.

"Oh... no, I'm sorry; I should've... maybe I could have grabbed you better?" Wow, a dumb thing to say! Sheepishly, he brought a hand to his neck, surveying the damage, scratching through his thick mane. The tiger had no such guilt. Maybe they could salvage this for themselves. "Listen, let me replace what I damaged, okay?"
This guy was apologizing for saving him???

Hunter's brain short-circulated, not used to people over-apologizing like him and he almost screamed.

"Dude, noo--fuck dude, you saved my life!" speaking softly because he was still absolutely shocked. Like, genuinely, Hunter was so close to becoming a flattened can of creamed corn! "Thank you, seriously-" Speaking a little louder now.

In reality, he WAS a little sad about his food being ruined, but you could always buy more food!
The poor guy still looked utterly rattled. Which, honestly, Jack the person was, too, even with his stupid fast reflexes it had seemed close and this pretty little thing would have been as smashed to bits as the feast he'd been carrying of he hadn't intervened.

But to be looked at and spoken about like some kind of hero for doing the right thing had the faintest tinge of pink rising at his neckline and the edges of his ears. The nails scraping through his mane worked that little bit harder.

"Oh. No, it was no problem; just glad I could help, man." Trying not to hold awkward eye contact meant a lot of looking down at the spoiled food. " You sure I can't replace any of that for you? It was kind of a lot..." Stuck on the tragedy of the feast!
Oh, this guy was really nice.

Hunter started picking up the pieces of his meal, it looked like the wrapped burrito was safe, as well as the elotes, and pupusas, everything else looked utterly smashed or too dirty to consume now. Which, let's be honest, Hunter definitely debated on eating every still even though they had street grime on them now.

Glancing up at this dude, he shook his head.

"Oh-no! Really, this is--I mean, well-I" Stumbling around with his words before he laughed nervously, "I mean I should be buying YOU some dinner or something--" His face starting to flush over how poorly he was thanking this hair-god.
Oh, shit; right!

Jack should be helping to peel the food off the street!

Ducking down towards the ground, sending himself drifting gently backwards, he began handing unsullied foil packages up to the stranger. At least it gave his hands something to do other than play with his hair!

As for the things that were unsalvageable, he gathered up as much as he could and zoomed it all over to the nearest trash can. At normal speed, on his skates.

... maybe just slightly faster than the average not-shifter.

Glad to see that the dude at least had some of his armful of food back, Jack was just about ready to give the poor guy a gentle farewell, or maybe he should offer to walk him wherever he was going in case he dropped it all again.

The mention of dinner wasn't really an offer, and it didn't strike him as flirting, but he made the terrible decision to give a huff of gentle laughter, again pushing his hair back, tucking it behind his ear.

"I'd have a hard time saying no to an offer like that," he purred, and the sad thing was it was barely flirting - it was just true. The tiger was insatiable.
So, this dude was REALLY good on skates AND fast! Hunter was too busy coming down from nearly losing a game of frogger to really think much about it, but it should have been suspicious that he was so zoomy and had been able to reach Hunter at an unimaginable pace.

Hmm. Things to realize later, but for now, the stranger was agreeing to dinner and a sigh of relief left his body.

"Oh, good--I think there are still a few food trucks still open." His large, hazy brown eyes just track this guy's perfect hair tussling: this guy had better-looking hair than Hunter and that alone was pretty awesome. "Uh, I'm Hunter, by the way. "

Do guys still shake hands? Hadley was always better at introductions, not Hunter, who was attempting to give this guy a flimsy fistbump.
At first Jack interpreted the sigh as being one of annoyance, that the semi-flirtatious response to the dinner invite was inconvenient or unwelcome, and his body language reflected his regret, shoulders brought forward, head bowed and tipped away from the stranger's gaze.

But "oh, good" wasn't usually something uttered genuinely by someone who was upset, and Jack looked round, wide eyed, surprised.

He couldn't help but smile! Hunter introduced himself and offered a fistbump, almost unsure of the action. Oh no, this guy was super cute! The little bump he gave the offered fist was gentle, rubbing his warm knuckles briefly against Hunter's. "I'm Jack," he offered in return, slipping his hands into his pockets now. Or, no, wait; he should help him carry his things! "It's nice to meet you, though I really wish the circumstances were less... chaotic..."
The weak fistbump was met with grace and Hunter smiled with the reassurance given to him.

Tucking the salvaged food items under his arm, he raised his hands a little as if surrendering.

"Oh, no! Literally, I am so grateful-" Hunter was quick to assure Jack that this was his fault and that he'd continue to remind Jack this was his fault. It was apparent that Hunter carried a lot of guilt naturally, or perhaps he was just a nervous fellow--either way, it would cause Hunter to senselessly apologize or thank Jack anytime this situation was brought up. "You're like--really good on those, by the way--" Unable to help himself. Still not really questioning how this guy managed to drag him out of the street while wearing them.

This guy had some crazy skate powers or something!
Hunter didn't let Jack carry his things and wouldn't let him take any of the blame for the food cyclone disaster. Poor guy was still acting like Jack was some kind of superhero instead of a dumb lucky bystander who'd been just within reach.

Well. Within the reach of someone with supernatural speed.

Drifting gently back towards the food trucks with his hands in his pockets, Jack smiled at the compliment, head ducking gently in a demure nod. "Thanks! I've been skating since I was like... fifteen? Been getting really into it the past couple years." Hunter didn't need to know why, so Jack immediately followed up with a question. "You skate?"
People were allowed to cycle through hobbies, so Hunter didn't really read that far into his first comment. Sometimes Hunter was REALLY into eating well and working out, but the only consistency he could keep throughout the years was his yoga and vegetarian diet. Not that his vegetarian diet was anything more than his love of animals and dislike of meat! Anyways, people were allowed to go through cycles of liking/doing things and not.

At the question about skating he smiled, childhood memories of zooming around with his siblings. Hunter was always too scared to go fast, but Hadley and Harry were super competitive and would race. Half of the time it was Hunter pleading with his siblings to slow down or to be careful. They were good memories, however, back when their biggest problem was who was going to beat who home and who could do the 'coolest' trick. Easy problems, problems Hunter could stomach.

"That's super dope. And, uh, yeah--a little, I actually haven't since I was a kid though, so who knows." He shrugged, he didn't really believe in the 'like riding a bike' philosophy.
That smile was something special. A warmth to it that made Jack feel relaxed, memories being called on in relation to their conversation. His own smile became soft and warm in response, mood brightened just by standing around someone having happy nostalgic feelings. Maybe he could have more of those nice thoughts by taking up skating!

"Dude, you should come to Sk8 City in Hawknell some time!" he suggested with maybe a bit more enthusiasm than he meant! "I said that like I work there -- I don't! But it's a good time!" Backpedalling that excitement a little!
He'd definitely have to ask his doctor when he was allowed to do fun activities again, but skating wasn't THAT physical right? He'd have to ask, but the nod was already in progress, and his grin was stupidly wide, revealing his perfectly pearly teeth.

"Duuude, yeah, man. Totally. " It sounded like it could be a fun job, but he could understand it is stressful trying to reign in exuberant kids. Maybe that was why Jack was so fast to grab him away from danger, this was probably a normal experience for them.

Nearing the food trucks he tilted his head back, wondering which one Jack would prefer.

"Alright, pick your poison."
Totally! That sounded like a sure thing! Should they pick s day? A time? Sure it got really busy in winter near Christmas time but sometimes that was even better!

Oh, wait.

Wait, he probably didn't mean he would actually go, did he? Just being polite.

That was okay.

Looking around at the vans that were still open he realised his favourite was currently closed, hummed in thought, then looked down at Hunter. "Which one do you like? Maybe you can recommend me my new favourite food!"
Hunter didn't have to think long on that already swiveling his head in the direction of the Mexican Vegan food truck: Taco Verde.

"Taco Verde is the one I go to all the time, they have like the best food. Uh-but there's a meat-style Mexican truck nearby if you prefer, uh--meat." He knew not many people kept dietary restrictions and he didn't want to force anyone into eating something they wouldn't enjoy. Plus, it meant more vegan food for Hunter!

Which reminded him HE still had food and it was getting cold. Hopefully, Jack's food wouldn't take to long to order.
Taco Verde was a cute name for a vegan food truck and Jack gave another dopey smile in appreciation. The tiger wouldn't be super happy about a vegan dinner but the human had no issue with it at all, patting Hunter's shoulder firmly, giving it a squeeze. You made a good choice! I bet you got your stuff from there!

"Perfect! Come on; get me what you would get!" he suggested, already starting to skate ahead, though he did look back, grinning. Come on, dude!
Oh, he liked his choice and it encouraged the anxious Hopper. Although he seemed to lean away from the firm touch just out of habit, moving away from harm. He recognized this as a kind gesture and stopped wilting. This wasn’t a fight, this guy was just being nice!

A smile, feeling reassured here, he walked closer to the truck, following after the really nice person! Dude, Jack was really nice and he couldn’t help but want to be friends.

"Yeah-yeah okay."

Not feeling pushed around or bullied, he found his voice and ordered for Jack. Some of his favorite things; spicy vegan burrito, fried plantains with a creamy chipotle dipping sauce, and some match chicken flautas.
Oh man, Jack did noticed the way he shied away from touch. He wouldn't do that again soon. Leaning up against the van's ledge, he kept that dopey grin going, watching Hunter order and smiling at the server, offering them a bright "Thank you!" when the order was complete! And now all they had to do was wait for the food to be made.

And man it sounded good! The entire van smelled amazing, actually! Not too much different from the meat-based taco van, richly spiced, mouthwatering.

"So, you come round here often?" Small talk, spoken while rolling the back wheels of one skate quickly against the ground, like he had difficulty standing still. Which he kind of did, but if it bothered Hunter he'd stop.
This guy had good energy, or so Hunter had decided in their brief interaction. Usually hasty to smooth every interaction into something calm to avoid problems, he didn’t really feel that way here. Whatever this guy was doing—he didn’t think Jack was trying to hard, his smile felt genuine.

"Yeah, man. My apartment in like right down the street so I walk here a lot on work breaks. " It felt funny to say ‘work breaks’ like he didn’t make his own schedule already. Walking to get food here was more of a ‘I forgot to eat all day and I’m about to die’. "You?" A little hopefully they could run into one another again.

This dude felt like the antithesis of everything a Hopper was: drama.
"Whoa, prime real estate, man," he opined, very impressed by the proximity of Hunter's apartment to the coolest park in the county. Or at least, the coolest one he'd visited so far. There could be other really cool parks in Ridgefield with other really cool places to eat! And the dude worked from home, and he didn't really look like a remote office worker, which was not an insult but just an observation! One he didn't voice, though, still just rolling those wheels. "Uhh.. I'm not here super often. Really kinda just if I'm passing through town but yeah when the weather's good, I sometimes like... perform out here."

And he just kept rolling those wheels as he talked, relaxed even if the tiger was pacing. Be patient, kitty!
It was a very rare moment for the shy Hopper sibling, but his facial expressions turned into a hopeful excitement, getting his hopes up the moment Jack mention performing!

Music was Hunter’s entire little world outside of his family, so his eyes almost comically twinkled. Another person? Another SAFE person.

"You perform here…?" His heart rate started to rise in the anticipation, but it was gaining speed to be easily misinterpreted for panic. "Like, music? Singing?" Truly unable to stop himself.

Please like music.
Looking up from the ground long enough to see the twinkling in Hunter's eyes after he mentioned performing, Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise. Maybe he oversold the bit! He was a good drummer, he knew that, but people were often impressed by the thought of someone singing their heart out at a planned event, then were disappointed to find that he basically banged on plastic for hours every day.

But Hunter's was a different kind of excitement! Genuine, pretty extreme! Catching! For a minute Jack stopped rolling those wheels, heel planted firmly.

"Well, I make a lot of structured noise," he joked, modestly bringing the expectations down. "I'm a percussionist, so..."
Hunter screamed with excitement in his head, his hazy, reddened brown eyes nearly popped out of his skull: A PERCUSSIONIST.

"Duude, no way-that’s so cool!" And he meant it. Terribly excited, or anxious, his heart was nearly threatening to rip right clean from his chest, shattering his ribcage on the way out like some shitty streamer rocket. The man who saved him was not only really cool, but he was a musician! "I do music as well!"

This was about as excited Hunter could get in a stranger interaction, aside from actually having an instrument in his hand. A dumb, dopey grin splattered across his face, Jack had truly made Hunter’s night.
Whoa, Jack sure caught that look, bug-eyed and on the verge of panic. It was enough to make the shifter concerned, eyes wide in response, blinking anxiously. Was Hunter okay?? Was this some kind of trauma response? Oh no, what if Hunter had some weird thing about musicians and percussionists were like the worst of those to him?!

His own anxieties were short lived, however! The otherwise quiet young stoner deemed his chosen path 'so cool', and again he kinda retreated into his hair, smiling, relaxed, fingers threading through the back of his mane.

Hunter was a musician! Which was hella cool! And he looked totally stoked about meeting Jack now, which was nice.

Again he thought that Hunter was very unfairly cute.

"It's like the only thing I've been super passionate about since I can remember," he said, sounding sheepish about it. Bashful! "You write music? Sing? What do you play?" He bet... sitar. Maybe kalimba. Something unusual.
This guy was speaking to his soul, music was Jack's passion--the only passion since he could remember and Hunter couldn't have agreed more. Music and family had been his entire world FOREVER--all of his good memories were wrapped up and labeled as either one, the bad too, but Hunter had a tendency to avoid looking at that.

Hunter wasn't about to lazily say 'everything' because that made ANYONE sound like a dick.

Humbleness was more Hunter's forte, or well, shying away and lying to appear lesser was more Huner's forte to an annoying degree.

"Oh, I--I'm an instrument technician and I do some custom builds, so--a little of this and that." Downplaying himself, because let's be honest, Hunter did not have a lot of self-confidence. Could he even play his instruments well? Some would disagree with this question, but Hunter's imposter syndrome had him quietly backing away from saying he could definitely run an orchestra with himself. "Just, uh--like some strings, us woodwinds--"

His eyes trailed away bashfully, his one free hand coming up to pick idly at the corner of his lip.
Hunter's enthusiasm didn't really die. It kinda like... turtled as Jack turned his attention to the other musician's talents, and as if his new friend had turtled with it, the shifter moved closer, rolling forward gently, slowly, until he was well within hugging distance. He was sure being shy about it, but he was telling a story of being a jack of all trades, or maybe just a musical expert!

Was Jack in the presence of musical royalty??

He mentioned strings and woodwinds then kinda stopped talking, so Jack had to wonder what else he did!

"Whoa, no way! That's awesome, dude!" he whispered, looking down at him with a kind of reverence. " You know, I thought some kinda string instrument but I didn't realise you were like... a tech, an expert. Like a real craftsman!" Jack was good, but he was no expert.

I should have put this tw in the one above, maybe? tw for anxiety skin picking

Hand carefully placed in front of his face to just anxiously pick, his brown eyes were drifted so far away, willing the food to be done so he could stop feeling so nervous. Jack was rolling closer with such fine-tuned motor skills that his eyes had to drift upward to meet the taller boy's eyes. Dark, like his, but they looked devoid of the anxiety that typically plagued Hunter. No, these eyes looked sparkly almost, so dark that each light surrounding them had them twinkling like a night sky. Hunter could linger in that little window, but Jack was whispering things to him that had him blushing to an unholy degree!

Oh, no, he wasn't that cool!

"Oh--no. I'm not an expert," he quickly dismissed his skills and everything he had studied throughout his life. He most certainly didn't think he was a master, although some of his clients would disagree and demand he think better of himself. His chest heaved a bit at the embarrassment, like when a parent loudly praised your shitty artwork---he just felt bad!

Thankfully Jack's food number was being called and Hunter quickly escaped the close proximity to snatch it. Leading them both to a picnic table, he forgot to use his words, but turned around and walked backward so Jack would get the hint to follow.
Not an expert? But he was a tech! Maybe you didn't need to be an expert to be a tech but most techs he'd known were super into their instruments, too! So he didn't buy that modesty at all!

Not that he had a chance to contest it. Their order number was called out and off Hunter zoomed to grab it, then... kept walking away! Backwards!

Confused, Jack gave a soft little chuckle and followed, rolling slowly towards the picnic table, all the time in the world for once in his life. Music and the people who made it had his attention and patience in a way most other things simply didn't, and now he was deeply curious! What else was Hunter good at? Only the most modest of people were the most talented!

"Man, that smells amazing," he noted from just a little further away than he should have. Sharp nose meant he could hone in on the meal from a good few arms' reaches away!
Backwards he would walk, slowly, offering a smile when Jack started rolling in his direction. He felt like he was beckoning an oversized cat and it made him chuckle. Somehow, the Hopper siblings were all REALLY good at walking backward and Hunter stopped right in front of the picnic table without tripping! Call that luck or a supernatural gift.

Setting all the food down, including his own that was tucked not so graciously under his arm, he took a seat, scooting down so Jack had room to join him.

The comment about the food smelling good wasn't unusual, Hunter was stoned and the food SMELLED good.

"Dude, it's SO good. this place makes the best fried plantains, their sauce is REALLY good."

Digging into his own food finally, carefully unwrapping things even though most of it was smashed. He'd eat it all without complaint, starting with his cooled plantains, because PLANTAINS!
Wow, stoned and apparently panicked as he was, Hunter made it to the table and sat down fluidly without even stumbling! Smooth! The oversized cat himself wasn't quite sure he'd be able to do something like that without going backwards over something. but maybe he could like... backwards roll out of it or something and look really cool while doing it! Yeah!

If not for the invite to sit on the same bench, Jack might have scooted round to the other side to sit on the opposite bench, but he dutifully slipped into the space next to Hunter, thanking him softly but profusely for the meal. It really hadn't been necessary but he wasn't going to say no to free food. Who could??

On the glowing recommendation, Jack immediately started on the plantains, and wow, they really were the best fried plantains he'd ever had! Maybe they were only the second batch of friend plantains he'd ever had but they really blew the restaurant ones out of the water. "You're not kidding; these are so good!" was spoken through a mouthful of them, and though he could definitely eat these and the rest of the food, Hunter's portion and those of the couple at the next table over, he offered some of the fresh plantains to Hunter, feeling bad that he was having to chew on cold, squished fries.
Flopping an elbow on the table so he could rest his head on a palm, he just tilted his head in Jack's direction, starting to chill the fuck out again. The food was good, he was starving so cold and smashed hardly stopped him from hungrily shoveling food into his mouth.

Jack looked hungry too by the way he was eating, but again, Hunter didn't really notice how 'odd' that might've looked. They were both YOUNG MEN and they tended to eat a lot, especially if they were active, or a stoner! There were too many explanations for Hunter to really second guess anything, he was just happy to be here.

"Right, I love it here." He explained with genuine joy, he should bring Hadley here--he'd like it here too. Or, at least he hoped Hadley would.
Now he was sitting eating, Hunter seemed so much calmer, though vacuuming food into his stomach like he was going to starve to death if he didn't eat his hoard right now! Having eaten earlier, Jack was able to savour the food a little, eating slowly, which was entirely out of character for him normally, but his cute new friend had brought him to his favourite food van and bought him his favourite foods, and he was going to really take in the experience because that's what you do when people share their favourite things with you!

Biting into the burrito with a napkin poised to catch anything that fell out, he was glad to find that nothing did spill and that the burrito was incredibly rich in flavour and NOT dry as hell. His eyes closed softly and he hummed in approval, blissfully content.

"Maybe I'll come by more often," he murmured, setting the burrito down carefully to chase the first bite with another bit of fried plantain.
Sharing food with someone always felt nice, but sharing food with someone and them enjoying it felt special! He couldn't help but smile, noticing that he was eating at warp speed and cut his speed down (barely). He was hungry and his concussion had nullified his usual eating routine--plus work was busy! When was the last full meal he ate? Hunter couldn't tell you.

Jack brought up coming here again and Hunter flushed, his ears turning a little red.

"You--you definitely should! I come eat here all the time--" Then realizing how forward he was being, he shut himself down, "but-uh, like obviously we wouldn't, uh-have to eat together or--anything like that. I just mean, uh--if I ever see you we could. Uhm."

Smooth.
Jack agreed! He definitely should come back here! The other came here all the time so he was probably going to get to see him again which would be really cool, and maybe he could buy Hunter something at least once!

Only then Hunter was backtracking, like he actually didn't want to see him, or maybe he was just... still being shy? That must be it. Why shy, though? Resting an elbow on the wooden edge, he let his hand disappear into his hair again, resting his head in it, head gently tipped towards his new friend, smiling encouragingly.

He really was cute.

They'd be good friends, he was sure. They couldn't be anything more than that.

"We can eat together again. I'd really like that."
Backtracking so far in his head that he wasn’t prepared with Jack actually agreed!

Oh, Hunter melted a little bit, excited to possibly have another music friend. This was really cool and his mouth slackened into a happy smile.

"Dude-dude, nice. Really? That’s so nice of you." Thanking Jack for not only agreeing they should hang out again, but not poking fun over how twisted up his words had gotten. Jack was really nice and Hunter was wilting!
There was that sweet little smile!

Jack didn't think he was doing anything special so to have his desire to sit and eat with this really cool musician again called "nice" was kind of funny, honestly. He chuckled, shaking his head.

"Nah, selfish, probably," he said, chewing his lip, pushing the fresh plantains over to Hunter again. "I'd love to hear you play one of your string instruments, or woodwind instruments, or anything else you play." He bet Hunter carried spare guitar strings and picks in his pockets, and his gaze flickered to where the other musician's pockets were as if he could see through the fabric.
One of Hunter’s biggest flaws, outside of his wavering personality and chronic anxiety, was his desire to please. Anyone and everyone who asked even the most mundane tasks of him, he really enjoyed helping, especially if they said it nicely! With that in mind, Hunter smiled wider and started patting around his pockets.

No worries, Jack, I have something!

He produced the tiniest little half-walnut-shaped thing with a wood covering and a few metal pins. His tiniest new invention: a mini kalimba He held it in his hand and flicked his thumb over a few of the bars producing little tiny notes.

"Haha, funny enough, I am carrying something—I got the idea from some tribes that use gourds to make kalimbas-wanted to know if it could be made smaller."

He’d play a little tune before offering it over to his new friend.
Oh!

Yep, other musicians were incredibly reliable, in the sense that it was always a sure bet that they were carrying something to do with their instrument or their work. Not really in the sense of actually being reliable... he kind of felt like musicians in general had kind of the opposite reputation as just.. people...

The thread of musing dissolved away as Hunter extracted something the size of a walnut that he didn't recognise at first as an instrument, and Jack tilted his head until his friend started playing and!! He called it! Kalimba!!

Homemade, too! Made by Hunter!

Jack's face lit up, eyes aglow with intrigue, impressed as he reverently cradled the tiny little instrument in his hands. He was almost afraid to break it, though it looked a work of perfect craftsmanship.

If love at first sight was really a thing, Jack thought he might be close to it.

But it wasn't, and that was a silly path to wander down, and carefully he played a few notes before handing it back ever so carefully!

"That's so cool... That's so cool!" He really was an instrument master! "How long did it take to make? It's so cute!"
His musical inventions brought him joy so seeing Jack react positively to it just made him ecstatic. He thrummed around a little and actually played a little tune and Hunter could have rattled the picnic table out of joy.

This dude was really enchanting him--like everything about him. He couldn't tell if he was attracted to this guy or if he just wanted to be him!

When he was complimented his face turned several different shades of pink and red.

"Thank you--Uh, it took a while to get the materials right-" He spoke humbly, knowing full well he had perfected it on his first attempt, because he was annoyingly perfect when it came to that kind of things. His abilities gave him the power to test sound things out before he even played it.
A while! That wasn't a timeframe but that was okay! Popping another fried plantain bit with a generous slathering of sauce into his mouth, he watched with a kind of strange delight as Hunter changed colours, all shades of blush.

Wiping his hands on a napkin, he leaned in a little closer, as if the other musician was going to bring a whole bunch of tiny instruments out of various pockets.

"Would you make more? I bet they'd make super cute gifts. You could sell them! I mean, I'd buy one for sure." Like a fidget toy or something! But functional!
He pocketed the little thing and thought for a moment. He had done a few jobs for people who needed custom instrument work done, but selling his own instruments? He didn't know if he had even earned the right to do that--Hunter even struggled with charging people accurately for his work.

Wilting slightly at the question, he ate a bit more, almost forgetting how hungry he was.

Bite, chew, swallow.

"I mean--I can just give you one--uhm." He wouldn't charge Jack for one, especially since this guy saved his life!
He seemed to be thinking over giving one of those precious little kalimbas to Jack and so he waited politely, starting to roll the back wheels of one of his skates under the table. Again he would stop if Hunter asked him to. For now he took another sizeable bite of his amazing burrito!

Chewing paused when Hunter said he would just... give him one of those adorable little instruments!

And then talking also paused!

Slowly, he dabbed his mouth with a napkin, swallowing carefully.

"I'll be honest, I would take one for free because they're amazing," he started, throwing his napkin to the side for a minute. "But I dunno, I'd like to know what you'd charge for them if you were making more. Like you worked hard on that!" Value your art!
Jack was giving him a pep talk and the guy was being really chill about it. It made Hunter feel terrible, how many people had graciously offered kind words of wisdom for Hunter to stand up for himself or to value his work only for him to fall speechless. Riddled with social dread and a unattainable need to please people, Hunter found himself and his words trapped.

His speech ability felt like it had been snapped in half or muted and all he could do was grimace.

Oh, Jack. They were so sweet. Unable to force out words, he just fumbled to pull the baby kalimba out again and handed it over to Jack, hoping that worked while his body struggled to function.
Oh no.

Did he say something wrong?

He didn't think it was a bad thing to say... you should value the work you do! Jack had never made an instrument so he couldn't even conceptualise of the time it took to make something as small and intricate as the tiny kalimba, and as he tried to formulate a decent apology the tiny instrument was being pushed into his hands!

"Oh... Hunter, are you sure?" It was rude to decline a gift but it was Hunter's cute baby kalimba!

the artwork

Of course he wasn’t sure! This had been his latest creation and he had only just started the painting in the back of the little thing, but he wanted to appease.

"Yeah-" quickly away from his little creation, because it would be in better hands now. At least now it would be with someone who wouldn’t readily give it away.

Oh, no. Had he even had time to sign it? That was enough to drag his eyes back over to the walnut kalimba.
Turning the walnut-sized instrument over in his hands after admiring the craftsmanship of the keys for a long minute, he realised it was decorated with a beautiful micro painting on the underside, a floral design and a kitten that really spoke to his shared soul, like it was meant to come to him eventually.

That was silly, but it really was a beautiful piece, though clearly unfinished. The leaves had been filled in with lush green, but the flower and kitten were the same colour as the wood the kalimba was made from.

"It's really beautiful," he said softly, reluctantly holding it back out to him. "And I really like it. But if I know artists... you're not gonna be happy until it's finished. So please, hold onto it." A pause to allow him to take it back, and a gentle smile. "Gives me a good excuse to come back here, right?"

I am slapping tw because of anxiety and negative self talk

Jack was studying it again, perhaps even scrutinizing his unfinished work and he was shrinking fast; oh, no--he doesn't like it. This would have been a meltdown to apocalyptic proportions, but they were in public and Hunter was not a person to cause a scene. It did not, however, stop his heart from exploding in his chest cavity, or his lungs from heaving a small tremor of air.

The gift being handed back to him both relieved Hunter and destroyed him. The part of him who really wanted to finish the piece and sign it was grateful that he was being given the opportunity to let someone see his full work on display. However, the people pleaser in him was screaming that he had done nothing good and Jack was offended by his shitty work.

" Oh right, sorry." Offering a very small smile as he pocketed the walnut, nodding softly that Jack was right. Everyone was always right--everyone. It burned to touch it, burned with shame, but it would be the first thing he finished when he got home. That would make things right again. "I appreciate that."

Unwilling to cause any problems or to even make Jack aware of his spiraling, he opted to shove more food in his mouth. He found none of it had taste--he could've been eating grass for all he knew. Nothing tasted worth eating until his nerves chilled the fuck out.
Jack didn't really know what Hunter was sorry for and he frowned in concern, eyebrows gently sloping downward. Had he said something wrong? There didn't really seem to be an opportunity to ask, the other musician nodding and speaking words of appreciation that didn't seem to match the temperature between them.

He really did like the kalimba. He really wanted it, too. But it wasn't his to take, or at least, not right now.

"I bet it'll look even cuter when it's finished. I dunno if that'll make it play better but..." A tiny little joke as he finished off his portion of plantains, right down the the little crispy bits. "Do you make like. Normal sized kalimbas, too?" A bid to rescue the conversation, but if Hunter wouldn't talk, Jack couldn't make him, and they could sit in comfortable silence, right?